Barely less than 6 months after getting my Nikon D70s, Nikon will be launching the new D80 on 9 August 2006. But it will not reach our shores so soon.
Here are some facts about the new camera:
- It's an amalgamation of the D200's 10 MP sensor and a few parts grated into a D70 body.
- A new firmware to control the camera.
- Luckily, it's almost identical to the D70s in most regards except:
- 10 Megapixels, up from 6
- 2.5" LCD up from 2.0"
- 4.5 FPS up from 3
- 1/250 sync speed, down from 1/500
- Top panel illumination now switched on by twisting the power button, just like D200, D2X. The D70 had a separate button.
- Takes SD cards, not CF
Most likely the same image quality or slightly better than the D200.
Identical materials and robustness to the D70.
If you have something to shoot today, get a D70s from stock. If you can wait, forget the D70s and get your order in for the D80.