25 July 2005

The demise of Chan Soon Yan

Got a call from Ong Ming Teck on Sunday, he mentioned that he received news that Pauline Foo's husband Chan Soon Yan has passed away on Saturday. He was asking me for directions to go to their residence to pay his last respect.

This morning I meet up with him, he said that he could not locate the house, most probably, the funeral will be held at a funeral parlour.

Mr Chan Soon Yan's demise was printed in the obituary in The Star today. He was 56 years old and passed away peacefully on Saturday 23 July 2005 leaving behind his wife, Pauline Foo, and three sons Benjamin, Irwin and Andrew to mourn his loss.

The last time I seen him was at Mr Leng Jun Seng's Chinese New Year gathering. He was wearing a cap due to loss of hair from his chemo therapy. I was informed that he was suffering from lung cancer. I knew that he was a chain smoker from the first time we meet when he was the Assistant Branch Manager in Kepong branch where I reported to work on 1 February 1981. Since then he has move around until his resignation in 2003 or near that.

I will be paying my last respect from him at the Nirwana Memorial Centre today (25 July 2005) during lunch time.

No comments: