I was on my way to have breakfast at Petaling Street when we saw smoke coming out of the roof of the former Rex cinema in Jalan Sultan. Within minute, a fire and rescue truck has arrived. My son who have not witness a building fire was curious about the incident. At the same time, I have my camera with me, it would be interesting to take some photos of the incident.
The Red Dragon Hostel which was once the landmark of the Rex cinema in Jalan Sultan is the place of accommodation for backpackers. All of them managed to flee the place with their items and most of them were seen at the side of the place when the fire occurred.
I can still remember and have told my son that the former Rex cinema was a frequent place that I go to watch shows after school. But the original Rex cinemawas operated by the Shaw Brothers was burnt down in early 1970s. At the time during the incident, the last show that the cinema was showing was "Gone in 60 seconds". The Rex cinema was then really burnt down within 60 seconds. The cinema was then rebuilt and commence for business in 1976 where it was equipped with the best cinema equipment in town and once again there were many patrons to the cinema. However, with the video boom back in the 80's, the number of patrons started to lessen, the cinema was closed in 2002. The Rex cinema was then turned into a hostel instead.
The fire was brought down within an hour and there were many on lookers there which include me and my son.
Here are some of the photos taken during the incident.