14 March 2007

Super A-chievers

The SPM results were out on Monday and the newspapers were highlight the Super A-chievers who scored 16As for their results. All the top achievers turned out to girls obviously. I was looking at the list of subjects that these girls scored in and compared to my days, some of these subject did not exist during my days when I was taking the same exam (that was more than30 years ago). I would like to list out the subjects that these girls scored As in:

  1. Bahasa Melayu
  2. English
  3. Chemistry
  4. Biology
  5. Physics
  6. Moral Studies
  7. Mathematics
  8. Additional Mathematics
  9. History
  10. English for Science and Technology (this subject was here because the science subjects were in Bahasa Melayu)
  11. English Literature
  12. Basic Science (wonder what is this?)
  13. Commerce
  14. Principles of Accounts
  15. Sports Science (what? it has become a subject in school?)
  16. Basic Economics
  17. Geography
  18. Visual Arts (what type of subject is this?)
  19. Tasawwur (World View)
  20. Pendidikan Al Quran
  21. Sunnah Studies
  22. Pendidikan Syariah Islamiah
  23. Sastera Melayu
I do not think this is end of the list of subject because I have yet to see some subject on Chinese and Tamil.

Looking at the list of subjects, now I know why the children going to school are carrying such a big bag. The bag must be filled with text books, workbooks and exercise books for the various subject.

Seeing these people scoring so many As, I wondered whether these As will help them in life in the future. Should they want to further their studies academically at universities, the results that showed many As will help them to gain entry easily. However, getting good academic results is not all that is required to be successful in life. A person need to learn the inter personel skills and the "laws of society survival" to be successful. I was looking at the newspapers today, even Einstein did not score many As but still he is the world most famous genius. Lim Goh Tong did not any academic qualification but he is a multi billionaire.

Me? Well, I did not have any As. I am just an average Joe who is happy with my current success and do not have regrets over what results I have obtained for my exams.

No comments: